Tuesday, September 23, 2008

My Last Day

I went to funeral yesterday. My friend's boyfriend passed away, I had never met him but it seemed like he was a really amazing guy. Before the service started Eliza was looking over the program and commented about how much she disliked the typical funeral music. The two congregational song were "Every Life that Touches Ours for Good" and "God be With You Til We Meet Again". Eliza then set about the task of picking the songs for her funeral....a little morbid but necessary. I am a sheep so I grabbed a hymn book and started working on the program for my funeral. Here's what I'm thinking:

Songs: Nearer My God to Thee, Battle Hymn of the Republic, I Need Thee Every Hour....the list is not done yet

Speakers: My dad (speak about the atonement and the plan of salvation), my sister Meghan (tell embarrassing stories about me to lighten the mood) and one of my friends (someone who wouldn't fall apart)

Special presentation: yesterday there was a picture slideshow of his life so I think something really awful/amazing would be if there was a slideshow/clip show of all my old sign song performances.

Ok, so maybe this isn't the lightest topic for a post, but the events of yesterday really got me thinking. I want to be prepared so that my funeral is everything I would want it to be. Fingers crossed that no one reading this post will have to attend my funeral service any time soon, but if you do, I think you would laugh quite a bit. I love you!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I have nothing against the songs, "Each Life That Touches Ours for good" or "God Be With You Til We Meet Again." I actually quite like them. But those songs are tear jerkers even when someone hasn't just died. I don't want songs that encourage crying...there will be enough of that with out the songs. Maybe it gives peace to some people, but I think we should focus more on the life and not the death.

Great Scott's! said...

MORBID?! But understandable, just don't go dying on me now. Love ya

Linda said...

OK, here's the deal. I can't stand those songs, because there aint gonna be any cryin' at my funeral! My kids are gonna have to bring a nail gun and a power screw driver, because I'm only leaving here kickin' and screamin'. I want Elvis' version of "How great thou art" and Allison Crowe singing "Hallelujah" and it won't be at the church. I'm going out in flames and incense (cremation) and then, only after I'm already burning, they can sing "Spirit of God, like a FIRE is burning". Otherwise if they bury me without my permission (haha) they have to sing "Do as I'm Doing" or "She'll be coming around the mountain when she comes" and that just will creep everyone out. So I'm going out in a flame of glory! LOVE YOU RACHEL, and Yes, we'll do the video/slide show for you. We've done it for Kat a million times. Make her show you her DVD. ok?