Monday, October 20, 2008

You Want Fries with That?

On our way to Las Vegas, Kat and I stopped at McDonalds for a little dinner. We are total nerds so we decided to turn off our voices and only sign. I love it because I always assign this sort of activity to my students and I haven't played "deaf" for a while.

I got up to order and signaled that I wanted a #1 (Big Mac meal, yum) and the lady froze for half a second and then asked if that was all, through exaggerated mouthing and gesturing. Then Kat ordered and it was a bit trickier. She ordered nuggets or something and instead of the lady writing out "what sauce would you like?", she pulled out 7 buckets of the different sauces from underneath the counter and had Kat choose. Another worker wandered over during this time and picked up one of the sauces and gestured that it was hot but fanning his mouth. Hilarious.



As we were getting our drinks we heard them all talking and they were SO excited to have had that encounter. We had gestured to the lady worker that she had pretty eyes and I think it made her day.

We made our way to our seats and started chatting when about 5 minutes later the hot sauce guy came up to me with 4 dinner mints and a piece of paper. The paper said "You two are sweethearts. Have a good night" (or something like that). Kat and I thought it was cute! And he signed his name (Travis) which made Kat extra happy. About 10 minutes later he came back and gave me 2 pieces of paper and a pen. I can't remember verbatim, but:

Paper #1: You are pretty. I don't know if you are with someone but you have a nice smile. Travis.

Paper #2: My name is Cody, I'm the one in the hat. Can you teach me to say you have a cute smile in sign language? I want to tell you you have a nice smile.

Sweet. Two guys that hang around McDonalds think I'm cute. Awesome. So Kat and I wrote a note that said, "Thank you for the nice compliments! We are both married and headed home from a camping trip in California. Thanks again, have a good night!" We walked it over to them, they read it and Travis wrote, "I hope you don't take offense". Here's the cool part. He didn't know how to spell offense and neither did his buddy (Cody) so he asked a girl who was mopping and she said, "a f-e-n-c-e". I love it.

Thanks for the fun memory McDonalds!

5 comments:

rebecca said...

i'm glad i'm not the only one who turns my voice off for fun:)

Linda said...

Rachel, I love your blog. I'm definetly a stalker. (Wait...if I comment, does that negate my stalker status? LOL) Anyway, when Kat was younger, we would do that in the mall...at Christmas time. I'll never forget trying to do that all day (she mainly rolled her eyes at my trying...) but I'll never forget when "Mall Santa" caught our eye. He looked our direction and did the ILY sign. It was very precious, and I felt a little guilty...because I'm only 3/4 deaf and not Deaf. But I owned it anyway. :)

Dave Allbee said...

Poor guys... They must have been decent fellows considering they hit on you even after believing you were deaf.

Unknown said...

:) You are so hot!!! Love it! They were even willing to write notes with you forever...wow.

Kat said...

:) I love this so much! I remember being so afraid to do it! HAHA those guys were hilarious. They loved you for sure! They were "special." And I'm pretty sure that girl was wearing contacts. HAHA That was such a blast! Man, I'm reliving the small fun moments of that trip. How fun.