Saturday, January 31, 2009

Love Those Kids

I really, truly love my students at American Fork HS, even if they drive me totally crazy most days. Lately, they have been very interested in my love life and in particular, trying to get me to go out with another single teacher at AFHS. They have been talking him up a lot and trying to get ME to make a move. Yeah right.

Yesterday morning I was sitting in front of the class going over vocabulary when a young man poked his head into my classroom, I looked over and a few of my students started yelling and clapping. I said, "Can I help you?" and he said, "My students told me I needed to come visit your class". Yep, then it all clicked.


I yelled (literally), "Oh my gosh, are you Mr. Salcido?!?" and we all started screaming with laughter. It was SO funny!  I couldn't compose myself for 5 minutes or so and in that time, he had high tailed it out of there.  When all the laughing stopped and the redness drained from my face, I realized that I had yelled at this poor man and that's all he knew of me.  (And I looked totally gross yesterday, of all days!)

My students are experts at manipulating me and yesterday was no exception.  My lovely student, McKenna, suggested a class field trip to his classroom to apologize because I felt so badly.  I resisted for about 3 minutes and then we were off.  I warned them that if they were bad in the hallway we would turn around immediately and they wouldn't get to see this go down.

We got to his classroom (luckily he had a prep period!) and I went in and said, "I just wanted to apologize for yelling at you".  He laughed and was very gracious about the whole thing.  While that was happening, the door closed behind me.  I turned around and saw my wonderful students giving me the thumbs up and pointing at me and him.  I love/hate them so much!  I opened the door and as we started to leave one of my other students, Brian, called out to Mr. Salcido and said, "Get her number"!  Yikes.

I really need a reality show, what more do I need to do to prove this?!?

8 comments:

Maria Johnson said...

Oh my goodness your students are geniuses! They are hilarious! So... was the teacher good looking?

Dave and Lizzie said...

That is SOOO funny!!

Joby, Julie, Cru and Sage said...

sweet! I would totally watch "Do you want to date my teacher?" if it became a reality show....as long as it didnt conflict with scrubs and 30 rock

Unknown said...

HAHA!!! Rachel, I love you!! I have to admit, the look on your face when you realized who he was was PRICELESS!

in morse code said...

i love this story. i heard some of it in the hallway and i am so happy i got all of it. thanks for the laugh!

Williams said...

was he cute??

Erica Yates said...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA..... Wow, you played right into that one! Yea, I want to know too.... was he cute?

Dave Allbee said...

This has to be the funniest thing I've ever heard!!! I have a greater respect for American Fork High School students now.