Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Thoughts on Interpreting


I'm going through some sort of quarter life crisis right now. School started last week and this is my first time in six years not being there on the first day with my pencil case, Hello Kitty backpack and schedule tightly clutched in my hand. I realized that about 90% of my friends are currently enrolled and the other 10% are moms. Meaning that they are busy, not that they are lame and don't want to hang out (except for you, Julie. Lame).

The crisis part is that I miss it!  I miss school.  There - I said it.  I have visited UVU twice already and I plan on more visits.  It doesn't hurt that I am treated a bit like a rockstar either :)  I love learning, writing papers and having the discussions/arguments with some of my professors that always got me fired up and doubly motivated.  Blah.  I never expected to miss it.

I am now working as a freelance interpreter and it is wonderful! I love driving around and doing a variety of appointments. I love meeting new Deaf clients and new interpreters. I love the challenges I face linguistically and ethically. In general, I love it.  I was made for interpreting (or law, medicine or politics but since this is what I do I'm saying I was made for interpreting).

Something I have only recently come to realize is how much I am in awe of my profession. I am so honored to be privy to the best and worst moments of people's lives and absolutely everything in between. It is such a privilege to be an interpreter and it is something I take very seriously. There is so much at stake and I am so grateful to have the ability that I do to be allowed to be a part of the delicate balance of this profession.  

For anyone who is not as familiar with ASL or interpreting, I can tell you it is not a charity service I do.  I do not help Deaf people.  Both Deaf and hearing people are my clients.  Often I am thanked for the "service" I perform or complimented on the beautiful language or asked a million questions about my background.  I know there is a lot of curiosity regarding ASL and it is much easier and more comfortable to ask the hearing person, not the Deaf, all these questions.  I do not interpret out of the goodness of my heart, I get paid.  It can be tiring but it can also be a great opportunity to quickly dole out some education to the otherwise ignorant public.

Anyway, I know that there are some interpreting students who check out my blog from time to time and I encourage all of you to not give up.  It is a crazy cool profession and it is so worth it!  I promise!

8 comments:

Rebecca A said...

Well said :)

Rebecca A said...

Not only well said but today was the perfect day for me to read it. Just what I needed!

Mark and Callie said...

Rachel, i want to be you when i grow up.

Great Scott's! said...

Peeps better believe we get PAID!! F.L. can be so so fun!! And amen to all that was said. I wish I could condense and give my knowledge to others who are clueless on the Deaf Culture. The sad thing is I have been trying to teach my family for years, and they still don't get it. Sometimes I wish I could do that Vulcan thing, and transfer my knowledge through my hand. I'm not a nerd I just saw the new Star Trek movie. Any ways lets play then.

Jerilyn said...

Loved this post.

It really is more of a privilege for us, and not a charity we give.

Shanna...you're such a trekky

Hannah Neville McMillan said...

Hooray that you love your career choice! ;)

in morse code said...

thank you. you always seem to post about things that i need to hear. so weird but cool how that works out.

Haute Deals said...

uh...did you just call me lame