Thursday, November 19, 2009

This Is It



Last Saturday, this awesome lady asked me to go see "This Is It", or what everyone else is calling the Michael Jackson movie.  I was skeptical but I will pay to see almost any movie in the theaters.  I know, it's a weird, expensive habit but I love the theater experience.

My feelings about the whole MJ issue have been very neutral.  I think he made some great music but I wasn't necessarily sad when he died.  It was odd and kind of surreal but I was never upset....

...until now.

This was a great movie.  A really great movie.  I want to see it again and again.  MJ was definitely eccentric but in a way that was so undeniably passionate.  He was such a fantastic performer and oversaw every detail of the stage show.  He also, humbly, made sure that his dancers, backup singers and musicians would have ample opportunity for recognition.  He seemed like quite the class act.

He was preparing for a 50 date concert series that would be his return but also retirement from the stage. He was 8 days away from the first show when he died.  The footage of the rehearsals was being taken for his personal library.  It was going to be an incredible show, one which the world has never seen before.

I used to always think of him as frail and well beyond his dancing days.  Um, no.  He was showing up dancers half his age.  His rehearsals were full of laughter, smiles, "God bless you", and all of his greatest hits.  It made me very nostalgic.

I know that he has been a very public and controversial figure for the past 15 years, give or take, but who are we to judge?  No one, except him and those involved, knows what actually happened.  I can understand why he left the public eye for so many years.  The film shows us a glimpse into his personality and I can see how he could be easily misunderstood.  I just hope that now he has found peace.  He is was an undeniable genius at his craft and will hopefully be remembered for that.

2 comments:

Mark and Callie said...

Now i need to see it. I felt much the same as you when he died. BUT, i am a big fan of his music. In high school i think me and my friends listened to him non-stop. I even remember a time when we brought a CD player into a store with us so we could listen while we shopped. And, we even had an MJ party once. Complete with an ice cream cake with his picture on it- half chocolate and half vanilla, because it really doesn't matter if you're black or white, or both!

Nicki said...

I heard that movie was really good. I should go see it since he was our personal friend anyways...right? :)