Monday, May 16, 2011

Iwo Jima






Thursday night I took the opportunity to go to the monument honoring the Marines through the action at Iwo Jima. I got there right before sunset - as did the three tour buses that pulled up right when I did.

This is one of my favorite monuments. I appreciate the Washington and the Vietnam for their symbolism and the power they evoke, but I love this one because it is set apart from those (it's right next to Arlington National Cemetery), and it's in motions. You can see their muscles under their clothes working to raise our flag - and those hands! I love.

I stayed until the sun went down and just had a moment to myself. I'm grateful to be American and I'm especially proud of our service men and women. Due to the fact that my dad was in the Navy for 20 years I get a little emotional at the monuments dedicated to military. This one is specifically for the Marines, but it's all a part of one big extended family.

2 comments:

Pam said...

Have you read the book "Flag of our Fathers" yet? It's about the men portrayed in the statue. It absolutely breaks your heart, but it's a necessary read.

Pam said...

By the way, I hope you don't mind that I commented. I found your blog through a friend's and I love reading about your adventures. :)