Sunday, November 20, 2011

They Came to Play

My mom and dad are in town! They arrived Friday night and are staying through Friday. Saturday we set out on our first adventure -
Arlington National Cemetery

We saw the changing of the guard and a wreath laying ceremony at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier. I am always so impressed by the sentinels at the Tomb. The reverence for duty, country and those boys in the tombs are just overwhelming for our little family. Learn more about them here 

I like them.

It was fantastic to be able to walk around and hear stories from military history from my dad. He is so knowledgeable!

My dad was most interested in seeing the grave of Audie Murphy. I hadn't heard of him before yesterday, but of course, dad filled me in. He was the most decorated enlisted man in WWII, and for quite good reason. Learn more about him here 

This one is for my dad - he served in the Navy for 20 years


My mom is obsessed with the leaves around here. She kept stopping and picking them up and would hang on to one for a few minutes before returning it to the ground and selecting another.
She's quite darling.

I always feel so humbled being at our nation's most sacred shrine

From Arlington we walked to the Marine Corp memorial, most commonly referred to as Iwo Jima. This one is easily my favorite.

I just can never get enough of my boys. If you need a recommendation for a phenomenal book, read "Flags of Our Fathers"

Those hands......they get me every time

No comments: