Monday, February 6, 2012

Newseum

This is without a doubt my favorite museum in DC. It is dedicated to news.....which is why it took me almost a year and a half to get there. Seems lame, right? Within a few minutes I was in love. So I bought a year long membership. Naturally.

Oh just a couple sections of the Berlin Wall, no big deal

This is in section dedicated to the 9/11 attacks. This piece of twisted metal is the radio tower that used to be on top of one of the Twin Towers in New York City. On the wall they project words that Americans of various ages wrote about their feelings regarding that day and the subsequent days after.

This is a collection of national and international newspaper front pages on September 12th.

There is a small room that has a video of reporters on the ground and lots of never before seen footage. When Becca was here we sat for the length of the movie, clutching each other with one hand while the other alternated between furiously wiping tears and covering our mouths. Then we left the movie and hugged and cried for a long, long time. It's nice to share that understanding with someone.

There is a Pulitzer Prize photographs room, newspapers of famous headlines from the last 100+ years, and just SO much more! I'm creepily obsessed with this place.

If you ever come to DC, this museum is a must see. Your ticket is good for two days because you couldn't possibly see everything in one.

2 comments:

Kati said...

I'm going here for the first time on Saturday! I'm so excited after reading this! Any thing I should be sure not to miss?

rebecca said...

thanks for being my shoulder to cry on :)