Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Inauguration Day


Today is a historic day, no matter your personal political views, it is a truly historic day. I have the inauguration on as I try to soothe my aching tummy and I can't help but be overwhelmed at the enormity of today.

Love him or hate him, the United States of America has a new President. He and I do not share many of the same political views, but I support him. The American people had the opportunity to vote and decide the next person to fill the position of President and they chose him. I support our government and our rights as citizens to be a part of the democratic process.

I never have and never will vote based on the color of someone's skin, and I struggled with that issue throughout all the campaigning. I think President Obama is very aware of the enormous task he has in front of him and the weight of being a role model to current and future minorities in America.  I will remember him in my prayers because I truly do pray that he will do a good job and help turn this country around.

I hope more than anything that he is safe.  It would be an absolute tragedy if he is killed in office.  Racism is not dead in America, electing a non-White President does not signify a victory in the fight against racism.  There is still a lot of work to do and I hope that we will all be more mindful in that pursuit.

God Bless America

No comments: