Monday, February 15, 2010

Happy Anniversary!

Three years ago marked the last time I worked outside of my field, the field I love and adore, the field that has given me so much more than I could ever give back.  The last job was at the Melting Pot (delicious, fabulous restaurant) and then I began interpreting.

I was thinking about this last night and I realized it has definitely not been a solid three years of just interpreting, I've had several long breaks in there.  If I actually break it down I've been interpreting for only 15 months!  Crazy, I know.  Interpreting is such a privilege for me and not something I take lightly.  I am grateful for all the crazy, amazing experiences I've had but I am also grateful to know that being an interpreter is not the be all, end all for me.

I am so grateful to have found Deaf Studies - it makes sense to me and and makes me feel like I have a purpose.  I had always wondered why I loved interpreting but was never super motivated, I now know it's because I am meant to be both - an interpreter and involved with Deaf Studies.  I have never cared about certifications, interpreting for certain people or gathering certain experiences and I am so glad that I know why.  It would be torture if I didn't!

So, happy 3rd anniversary of being in the deaf related work field, and happy 15 month anniversary of interpreting!  I have a long way to go in both and I am SO excited to get going!

4 comments:

rebecca said...

you are so cute...

Ashley said...

Happy Anniversary for sure! I love that you said how you don't care about certification and all that crap. You're a better interpreter and person for not comparing yourself to everyone. Yay interpreting!

Jerilyn said...

Happy Interpiversary!

Joby, Julie, Cru and Sage said...

I feel proud that I was there when you were discovering your new life path. I am not proud, however, that I got you a job at melting pot where we made like $5.00 a week