Monday, July 19, 2010

War Paintings


Over the weekend I read about an art program run by the Marines where they send enlisted artists into the battlefield to capture the essence of battle.  Several branches of the military have similar art programs and most of them have been around since WW II or earlier.  Supporters of the program say that the artists convey the emotion that photographs can't.  

Then today on Yahoo! news there was an article about the Army art program and an exhibit planned for September.  (Read the article here)  Apparently the Army has been collecting battlefield art since the 1840's and has decided to put 300 pieces from their collection on display.  That collection is more than 15,000 pieces strong.  

The exhibit will run from September to January in Philadelphia and then tour select US cities.  You better believe I plan on going.  Hey Rachel Rasmussen - how about you come visit me and we see it together?

2 comments:

rachel garber said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
rachel garber said...

ARE YOU KIDDING ME!? OF COURSE I WANT TO!! Maybe Christmas break? I only stay in Idaho for the first week until Christmas is over . . . are you going to be in Utah/Cali the whole time or just part of it? I love that you called me out on this one because I was going to suggest it before I got to the end of the post :)