Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Friendship


You know, the bad thing about human relationships is that we have our agency. My relationship with my shoes is unchanging (it's fabulous, thanks for asking), my relationship with peanut butter is the same, except on the other end of the spectrum (yuuuuuck!). 

But humans have emotion. We don't always see things from the other's perspective. We can be selfish. We lie. 

I'm done. As a very wise roommate always says, "I'm trying to figure out the line between justice and mercy" and I have been merciful in a certain situation for too long and now I'm feeling like a doormat. I have been overly concerned for this person's feelings whereas not an ounce of concern has been shown for mine. 

But the great thing about human relationships is that we have our agency. Despite this bump in the road, I can proudly say that I make excellent decisions when it comes to friends. Our decisions to show and speak love and support to each other is the most amazing exercise of agency I've ever been witness to. 

In the end, I'm grateful for that agency because in my life there have been several heartaches but those times are worth the many, many more instances of pure joy. Be bold, clean up your closet of friends, and don't let anyone get you down. You are enough, you are worth it, and I'm sure you can count at least a handful of people right now who think you're pretty great.

So a great big THANK YOU to my true friends. And thank you for anyone who reads this ridiculous blog, you're A-OK in my book.

xoxo

3 comments:

Jesse&Amber said...

I hear ya. Today I had the same awakening I had when I was 16, there were a couple girls that no matter who left the room...they were talking about them and as soon as I realized how often it happened I decided having one good friend is way better than ten that you can't trust. I encountered this over again recently, and it's exhausting trying to be the person they want you to be and think the way they think strictly so they don't talk about you the second you leave.

I've had a rant in my head all day. Thanks for letting me somewhat write it out :)

p.s. i am following you on pinterest now!

doug said...

Dang. I hope that isn't me. I still think you're pretty cool.

Lizzie - The Dancing Toad Blog said...

I've had some similar thoughts lately on this issue. I like this post. Thanks for sharing.