Friday, September 11, 2009

Saturday 10am - Ao Nang

Britta and I stopped into an internet cafe so I thought I'd throw out a quick update for ya'll. We left the Phi Phi Islands yesterday afternoon and made our way to Krabi, by ways of a 2 hour long ferry ride along the most breathtaking part of the ocean I have ever been able to float on. We then took a quick car trip to Ao Nang and have decided to settle here for a few days.

This city is awesome! The shopping is incredible, the people are friendly, the food....I'm not sure. We decided on pizza last night and not local cuisine. How very American of us ;) We will be checking into different lodgings tonight. It is a resort with a pool and full spa service. We wanted a day or so of pampering before we scurry off to Cambodia. The room will cost 600 baht per night and hour long massages are about 200 baht. Just for a little insight into our checkbooks, 32 baht = 1 American dollar. Yes, we will be getting massages for about $6 and paying about $9 each for our room. Life is tough, don't I know it!

Backpacking is a cool and interesting experience and I definitely plan to see Europe this way. Tough it is difficult when it comes to shopping! I want to buy soooooo many things but I have such limited space. So far we have met some pretty cool people, including 2 Welsh men who met while traveling and figured out that they're from the same town, went to the same school and were only a year apart. Truly, what a small world!

More to come later! I miss you all!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Sounds like a dream!

Rachel, we know how you feel about shopping. Why did you pack anything?

rachel garber said...

Basically I can't wait for pictures - when will you be back!? I also wanted to let you know that you'll have to eventually read my blog where I posted a lovely picture of our mutual friend from his Meridian High School days :)

Aubrey said...

holy crap, where haven't you been this summer?? I'm so super jealous!